Circular Economy is the Key
Plastics are an indispensable part of our daily lives. Breathable films protect sensitive baby skin, agricultural films increase crop yields, and plastic packaging protects food from damage or spoilage. In addition, comparatively little climate-damaging CO2 is emitted during the production and further processing of films.
Circular economy is therefore the most important lever for giving plastics a sustainable perspective. Thus, we are stepping up our efforts to further develop our own processes and products so that they fit into the circular economy.
At RKW, we have defined fields of action through which we want to achieve our sustainability goals: More recycling, less greenhouse gas emissions and continuous improvement of all processes.
- By 2025, we will increase the share of recycled, renewable or biodegradable plastics in our products to 15 percent. Compared to 2017, this represents almost a doubling.
- Also by 2025, we will reduce our CO2 emissions in GHG Scope 1 & 2 by 50 percent compared to 2019.
These two targets form the cornerstones of our sustainability commitment. In addition, there are further activities in the areas of environmental protection, occupational health and safety, social commitment, diversity and inclusion, and talent development.
Key success factors on this path are the most efficient possible use of this valuable raw material, the development of products that are easy to recycle, and finally the consistent expansion of plastics recycling along the entire process chain. The result is sustainable solutions that make life a little easier for consumers around the world. Moreover, for which we are committed - together with our customers, suppliers and partners - every day anew.
Sustainable development means that the needs of today must not be met at the expense of future generations. RKW is committed to this principle and to its ecological, economic and social responsibility. Based on our corporate strategy, we have therefore set strategic sustainability targets that make our commitment transparent and our contribution measurable.
Some examples show how seriously we take our responsibility:
- In 2020, RKW converted all production and administrative sites in Germany to energy from renewable sources;
- In 2021, further sites in France and Belgium followed.
This led to a reduction in CO2 emissions of a good 100,000 metric tons compared to the previous year when converted to all RKW emissions worldwide. Further plants are to follow soon.
- Investments of more than 650,000 euros in more energy-efficient machines, new lighting systems and improved workflows save around 1,400 tons of CO2.